Carol obtained her law degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1987 and has practiced law in the New Westminster area for over 20 years. Carol has experience at all levels of court, including the British Columbia Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. She has extensive experience in complex family law matters, including property division, maintenance, and custody and access disputes. Carol was appointed Queens Counsel’s in 2011.
Carol is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia and has been a Bencher since 2004. She is currently the chairperson of the Family Law Task Force and the “Unbundling” Task Force for the Law Society of B.C.
Carol’s practice is primarily in the area of family law, and she is also a family law mediator. She has taken the advanced mediation course, as well as collaborative law training. Carol has been a member of the Vancouver Collaborative Divorce Group since January 2001 and is one of the pioneering members of the Collaborative Family Law Group serving the Lower Mainland. She has been an instructor for Continuing Legal Education on several occasions, including the Family Law Conference in 2001, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011. Carol co-wrote the 2005 Family Law Deskbook.
Separation and divorce can be extremely stressful on the parties and the children of the relationship. Carol enjoys assisting the parties in resolving their disputes and finding a positive solution.
Carol is actively involved in fundraising to support research to find a cure for breast cancer. Carol has participated in local events, such as, the Weekend to End Breast Cancer, a 60 kilometer walk since 2004. Carol has also participated in the Run for the Cure, as well as the Vancouver Sun Run.
Education and Bar Admission:
- B.A. (Political Science): University of Saskatchewan, 1984.
- LL.B.-University of Saskatchewan, 1987.
- Advanced Mediation Training: 2001.
- Collaborative Law Training: 2001.
- Called to the Bar: British Columbia, 1988.
- Bencher, Law Society of British Columbia (Since 2004)
- Chairperson, Family Law Task Force and the Unbundling Legal Services Task Force of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Vice-chairperson, Unauthorized Practice Committee of the Law Society of British Columbia (2008)
- Member (since 2004), Vice-Chairperson (2009), Committee Chair (2010), Credentials Committee of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Former Chairperson (2001-2002) & Program coordinator (1999 – 2001) of the New Westminster Family Law Subsection
- Member, Westminster Family Subsection Report on BC Justice Review Task Force
- Chair and Member of the Collaborative Family Law Group serving the Lower Mainland
- Member of the Vancouver Collaborative Law Group
- Member of the New Westminster Family Law Subsection
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Frequent contributor and lecturer for Continuing Legal Education
- CLE Family Sourcebook (Co-author), 2005
- Family law of Legal Support Staff, CLE (2003)
- Speaker at Family Law Conference (2001,2003, 2009, and 2011)
- Speaker at Provincial Court Judges Conferences (1999 and 2002)
- Speaker for Professional Legal Training Class, LSBC
Honours and Awards
- Queen’s Counsel of British Columbia (2010)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society: Bencher (2004-present); Executive Committee (2009 and 2010); Chairperson, Family Law Task Force (2006 – present); Chairperson, Unbundling Legal Services Task Force (2005-2010); Chair and Member of Credentials Committee (chair in 2010 and member since 2004); vice-chair, Access to Justice Task Force, member, Unauthorized Practice Committee (2005)
- Government Advisory Groups: Member of the Family Law Advisory Group on the proposed changes to the Family Relations Act (White Paper on the Family Law Act)
- CBA: Member of the CBA Family Law Bench and Bar Committee (2010 – present); Member, New Westminster Courthouse Bench and Bar Committee (2005 – present); Member, New Westminster Family Law Sub-Committee on BC Justice Review (2005), member, New Westminster Family Law Sub-Committee on Unified Family Court (2002), co-chair, New Westminster Family Law Section (2001-02), program coordinator, New Westminster Family Law Section (1990-present)
- CLE chair and author of Family Sourcebook (2005), Member
- Westminster Criminal Law Association (2005), Co-chair
- Collaborative Family Law Group serving the Lower Mainland (2002-2003), Member
- Collaborative Family Law Group serving the Lower Mainland (2002-present), Member
- Vancouver Collaborative Law Group (2001-present)
- Family Law for Legal Support Staff (2003), CLE instructor and chair
- Family Law Conference (2001, 2003, 2009 and 2011), CLE instructor
- Provincial Court Judges Conferences (1999 and 2002), Speaker
- Legal Aid Tariff Committee, Past Member